2016 Erie County Republican Party Platform
We, Erie County Republicans, believe in the principles laid out in our nation’s Declaration of Independence that “All men [and women] are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights and that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. – That to secure these rights Governments are instituted among Men [and Women], deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed”. The Erie County Republican Party embraces these principles and those found in the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. These documents are the foundation upon which our platform rests.
Personal Liberty and Responsibility
1. To keep and bear arms.
2. To acquire and maintain private property.
3. To participate in free elections without corruption.
4. To practice freedom of speech, religion, peaceful assembly, and the right to petition the government.
5. To protect freedom of the press.
6. To assure due process and equal protection under the law.
Economic Freedom and opportunity
Erie County Republicans believe in the principles of economic freedom and opportunity afforded by relief from high taxes, a well-maintained infrastructure, sensible and affordable energy policies, and freedom from burdensome rules and regulations.
Fiscally sound and responsibly managed government
Erie County Republicans encourage program and policies that promote and support:
1. Minimizing long-term liabilities, including bonded debt, and restoring full-funding of pension obligations.
2. Maintaining adequate financial reserves.
3. Reducing waste, fraud, graft, and abuse.
4. Providing sound oversight to reduce cost overruns and ensure funds are spent wisely.